On the island of Sulawesi fare up in the mountain lays the small plateau, the home of the Toraja people. Driving on to the plateau you immediately realize the difference from other parts of Indonesia, even the houses looks different like they are upside down. The hanging graves, ancient ceremonial burial places and huge cremation celebrations are just some of the unique tradition found only within the plateau.
Day 1: Arrival Makasar – Toraja
Upon arrival at Hasanuddin Airport Makassar, you will be picked up by our tour guide. Then we will directly depart to Tanah Toraja with approx. 8 hours drive, passing through the Buginese villages with their typical houses on poles. On the way, we will visit the fishermen village in Barru district with its beautiful beach panorama. If we are lucky, we also could see the traditional Buginese “ Pa’bagan “ fisher boats. Lunch will be served at a seafood restaurant in Pare-Pare. In the afternoon, we will stop on Puncak Lakawan for having coffee break while enjoy the spectacular view of Mt. Kabobong. Late in afternoon, arrive in Rantepao, Tana Toraja. Stay and Overnight at Misiliana Hotel.
Day 2: Full day Toraja explore
After breakfast, we will take you on a full day Tana Toraja Tour. In the morning, we will visit Kete’ Kesu, a local Torajan village, where we can find the original of traditional Tongkonan houses and their rice barns. Here we can also see the giant tomb of the Kete’ Kesu royal family. Then we will visit Lemo where we can see hanging graves with their rows of Tau-Tau sculptures. Then Continue our trip to Londa, a natural grave in a cave with its entombed deceased.
Lunch will be served at a local restaurant in Rantepao. After lunch, we will visit Bori’ to see ancient megalith stones which already exist since thousands years. After that, we will take you to Tinombayo highland to enjoy the superb view of the rice terraces and Torajan local villages from the hill-top. Then we will visit Batutumonga where we can view the town of Rantepao. At last, we will visit Lokomata where we will find graves on a giant megalith stone. In the afternoon, we will back to hotel.
Stay and Overnight at Misiliana Hotel
Day 3: Toraja – Makasar -Departure
After breakfast, check out hotel. Then we drive back to Makassar via the same road of 1st day. Lunch will be served at a seafood Restaurant Pare-Pare. In the afternoon, arrive in Makassar. Onward, transfer directly to Hasanuddin Airport Makassar to catch your flight for your next destination.
This ‘Explore Toraja’ package includes:
- 2 – nights accommodation at your chosen Hotel, based on twin-sharing (2 persons per room)
- Meals mentioned in the itinerary as specified (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- Private transportation in a chauffeur-driven, air-conditioned vehicle
- Activities and excursions as per itinerary
- Bottled drinking water during transfers and tours
- Tours and activities as indicated in the itinerary
- Professional and licensed English-speaking guide (additional charge applies for other language speaking guide)
- All entrance fees, donations and parking fees as per itinerary
This ‘Explore Toraja’ package does NOT include:
- Visa fee / arrangements if applicable
- Any domestic or international flights
- Any alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses such as laundry, telephone call, room service, mini bar, etc
- Personal health and travel insurance
- Gratuities/ tipping for driver and/or guide and porterage
- Any High Season and Peak /festive season surcharge (see below)
- Any additional excursion/optional tours/activites that are not mentioned in the itinerary
Good to know
- Minimum of 2 persons per booking
- Additional charges apply during high season and peak season period
- Price and booking confirmation are subject to room availability
- Private basis only (no seat in coach available)